UUG meeting 12/14

Jamie K. Cummings jamie at other-world.org
Wed Dec 13 20:38:15 MST 2006

Hello everyone. This message is to invite you to the last UUG meeting of
the semester. We're happy to have Michael Torrie presenting on ZFS. His
preview is as follows:

Thursday I will give a brief introduction to OpenSolaris, showing the
Gnu/Nexenta distribution which is based on Ubuntu.  Nexenta is Ubuntu
running on a Solaris kernel and Solaris system libraries.  One of the
few reasons for using OpenSolaris instead of linux is ZFS, which I will
spend the bulk of the time demonstrating.  ZFS is a combination of
logical volume manager, RAID, and file system.  ZFS is capable of
supporting volumes up to a petabyte in size, and allows for extremely
easy on-the-fly-setup, expanding, and shrinking of volumes across disks.
ZFS also supports instant snapshots of the disk (good for backups) and
also impressive data integrity.  Without using journaling, ZFS always
guarantees a consistent file system.  I'll show how easy ZFS is to set
up and use, and demonstrate its robustness.  Possibly your next home
file server should run GNU/Nexenta.

The meeting will be at 7:30pm in 340 Crabtree building. As usual, you
can get  more information on the location by going to
http://maps.byu.edu, or replying to this message with questions.

This should be an excellent meeting. We hope most of you can make it.

-BYU Unix Users Group-