admin question: howto-unresponsive server under extreme load

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Tue Dec 12 11:08:25 MST 2006

Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> We have a webserver that occasionally gets pegged. When this happens, the
> remote shell becomes nearly totally unresponsive--to the point that we have
> it rebooted at the colo. We already have swap disabled. We are trying to
> pinpoint which bit of our application is causing this. Obviously, a hard
> reset kills any chance of it completing and writing log files with useful
> clues.

You might try putting the log files on a separate hard drive.  Linux
should be able to complete writes to the logging drive even when the
main drive is swamped.  Separate partitions isn't enough; you need
separate spindles.  Or, even better, use syslog to send the logs to
another server.

> Is there some way to lock a root shell such that it is always responsive so
> that we could at least kill the webserver and have a chance of the log files
> being fully written to find the problem?
>
> RT scheduling? Tell bash to mlock() itself into memory? Ideas?

You might consider writing a script that monitors the load level.  When
it rises too high, automatically suspend your web server processes using
"kill -19".  Then you can analyze the problem without actually killing
the server.

Shane