macbook trouble

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Tue Dec 12 07:38:42 MST 2006

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 at 10:45 -0700, Christer Edwards wrote:
> This is a shoutout to all of you mac users out there.  Everyone else can
> safely disregard this message.
>
> I convinced a co-worker to buy a macbook instead of a new PC and,
> somehow, he has managed to have it crash during his second day of use.
>
> The issue now is that anything over 256 colors has a very garbled
> display--looks like 8bit color (really crappy) and doesn't display
> correctly.

It does sound like a video card problem. AppleCare or no, you've got 90
days (minus two?) that they'll take care of you for sure.

"My" macbook (technically it belongs to the school even though my
fellowship bought it for me, don't you love red tape) is faster and has
a wider screen than the old iBook. The video card is no better than the
iBook's though, and it might even be worse; I'm not sure. I understand
macbook pro has better video cards though.

My iBook never crashed, this thing crashes almost half as often as
Windows. Is that Intel's fault or bugs from the crossover that haven't
been eliminated? I don't know. I've never had any trouble at all with
recovery, though. Journaled filesystems are a joy.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach