Amazon Simple Storage Service

Jonathan Ellis jonathan at carnageblender.com
Mon Dec 11 20:49:33 MST 2006

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 20:39:29 -0700, "Gabriel Gunderson" <gabe at gundy.org>
said:
> Does anyone use S3 from Amazon for backing up data off-site or serving
> static files?  It's pretty darn cheap, requires no hardware, scales, can
> do HTTP and BitTorrent and a bunch of other cool things.
>
> http://aws.amazon.com/s3
>
> Pay only for what you use. There is no minimum fee, and no start-up
> cost.
>
>       * $0.15 per GB-Month of storage used.
>       * $0.20 per GB of data transferred.
>
> That's WAY cheaper far better then building my own RAIDed (and redundant
> in every other way) server, paying for a colo and bandwidth in some
> beefy data center and still having to admin it myself.

Here's a couple good articles on S3:

http://blogs.smugmug.com/onethumb/2006/11/10/amazon-s3-show-me-the-money/
http://bob.pythonmac.org/archives/2006/12/06/cachefly-vs-amazon-s3/

Part of the disparity in their conclusions, of course, is that the
smugmug guys have a much different use case than mochimedia.  But I
wonder if they've had more downtime in the last month, since Bob cites
reliability as one problem he had.

-Jonathan