multiple disc archiving

Christer Edwards christer.edwards at
Mon Dec 11 18:40:45 MST 2006

thanks for the earlier quick responses for my issue with the macbook.
This list is always great in getting some quick feedback.

Now, if you all don't mind I have another question that is (hopefully)
as easily solvable.

I plan to backup my media collection to DVD and I wonder if there is a
utility or command syntax (tar?) that would auto-span multiple discs.
I'm basing this from the old option within WinZip to span an archive
among multiple floppies.  I know, old school.

Basically, I understand that I will need about a dozen DVDs to archive
my media, but I'd rather not manually select & copy *just* the right
amount for each DVD.

Any utilities for Linux that you can suggest to automate that part of
the process for me and backup ~60G of data to multiple DVDs?
Christer Edwards
christer.edwards at
GPG KEY: B6724E04