Java 6

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at
Mon Dec 11 13:28:50 MST 2006

On 12/11/06, Michael Torrie <torriem at> wrote:
> Sadly, Jython seems to have stalled.  Do you know if the Jython people
> plan to upgrade it to python 2.5?
> Michael

I have no idea, I haven't followed Jython very closely.  I would hope
that Java 6 and the JVM going GPL would spur new vigor for the Jython

The JRuby developers were hired by Sun and are being paid to develop
JRuby full time.  NetBeans is supposed to have full JRuby support in
the future (including RoR).  Mozilla has always maintained a
high-quality version of JavaScript implemented in Java (Rhino).  And
PHP was the language chosen to prove the scripting API while Java 6
was being developed (so that implementation received lots of love).

So if you're a PHP, Ruby, or JavaScript fan, it would seem that the
JVM will be a realistic platform to run on.  I know that's probably no
consolation for python users, but again, I'm sure Jython will pick up.