macbook trouble

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Mon Dec 11 13:27:08 MST 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 12:44 -0700, Jonathan Duncan wrote:

> > I'm on my 3rd Macbook Pro.  1st kept freezing with kernel panics (stock OSX).
> > 2nd had a disk die.  Annoyingly, if you read the manual, it says you're not
> > supposed to touch it between the time you close the lid and the time the
> > light starts "breathing", because the disk is spinning down.
> >

> Have those experiences poisoned you against Macs, or are you still a Mac
> lover?

Have you ever tried to get Dell to replace a laptop before?

Apple treats their customers quite well and despite the problems that
I've seen with various MacBook Pros (not a high percentage), I'd still
go with Apple over Dell.

The fact of the matter is that the failure rate for laptops, especially
within the first 6 months, is very high all around. That's why I insist
that our users, no matter what they buy, get a 3-year complete warranty
that covers parts and labor.

We've seen sleep problems, random hard crashes, and failed disks on
MacBook Pros.  But I've seen the same problems on Dells too (especially
failed disks -- if the disk can live 6 months it will likely live 3
years).

Michael