Backing up Linux from Win2k3

Joe Crown joecr at linuxmail.org
Fri Dec 8 18:38:55 MST 2006

Bryan Sant wrote:

> I just like throwing out non-factual information to keep people
> guessing.  As it turns out, the partition I copied a large tarball to
> was in fact FAT32.  I was sure it was NTFS v5, but now I'm not so sure
> because I have a dialog in front of me saying that it's FAT (but can I
> REALLY trust a dialog from Microsoft?).
>
> -Bryan
> "I thought I made a mistake once...  But I was wrong."

Check out the following links.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/184006
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/100108
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310749
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/140365
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314878

Yes that's one article stating the FAT32 is limited to 4 GB file size.
I think that is really funny though as FAT16 allowed up to 2 GB for the
file size.  So that really wasn't much of an upgrade in that regard.

Since some of you don't sound like you trust Microsoft to tell the truth
about this here is another source.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=NTFS&oldid=93049545

If you want any more information I suggest a google search for NTFS &
check out the links at the bottom of the NTFS article at wikipedia.

--

American Family Association & 30+ Other Groups Call for Boycott of Ford
Motor Company

The Electronic Frontier Foundation is highlighting three sets of bad
laws going through Congress right now.
http://www.eff.org/corrupt

Don't pay malware vendors - boycott Sony & Symantec