Linux command comparison

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Fri Dec 8 12:39:57 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 10:40 -0800, Blake Barnett wrote:
> launchd doesn't do runlevels, it's mostly designed with the desktop
> in mind, and so usually prefers to load things ondemand.  But it can
> support dependencies, the WatchPaths and QueueDirectories can be used
> to enforce the order that things load up.  And in a lot of ways, it's
> more reliable than init scripts because you can ensure that a service
> does not attempt to load until it's dependencies have fully loaded
> and written the file that launchd is watching for.  It's quite
> different, but all the other features of launchd are well worth
> adjusting to.  (Even though I usually hate XML config files)

Except that my Tiger machine is actually Tiger Server, so launchd leaves
a lot to be desired.  At least they have cron running, slaved off of
launchd.  Tiger desktop does not have this and it is annoying to no end
to have to hack an XML file just to get a user-own jobbed scheduled
regularly.

On a related note, Solaris 10 has some new funky system too.  I guess I
just prefer simplicity and reliability.

Michael