Linux command comparison

Alex Esplin alex.esplin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 00:42:02 MST 2006

On 12/8/06, Doran Barton <fozz at iodynamics.com> wrote:
> Even though tools exist on different distributions (chkconfig for
> RH/Mandriva, update-rc.d on Debian(isms), yast on SUSE), they all do mostly
> the same dang thing: maintain symbolic links between files in /etc/init.d (or
> /etc/rc.d/init.d) and the run level directories init scripts process for the
> respective run level.
>
> If you learn about the fundamental activity these tools are doing, the tools
> themselves are just convenience. Knowing what's going on behind the scenes,
> you can pretty much manage anything on any of the distributions.

I would tend to agree fairly strongly on this.  Not that I am making
any claims to knowing anything, but after using Gentoo for a while, I
know a heck of a lot more about other distributions than I did before.
 So pick your favorite distro and do some digging into how it handles
all of that stuff, and most of that knowledge will carry over.

--
Alex Esplin