BIOS assisted raid

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Tue Dec 5 10:10:48 MST 2006

On Tuesday 05 December 2006 09:22, Brian Hawkins wrote:
> I'm setting up a system with the intent of using raid 0 for performance
> gains.
> The hardware
> Asus motherboard with with bios assisted raid controler
> two SATA drives
> one PATA drive for backup
>
> I want to setup the two SATA drives as RAID 0 and use the motherboards
> controller to assist if possible.  I'm installing FC6.
>
> The first time I installed I just went with the system default setup.
> It put /boot on the PATA drive and then created a logical volume out of
> the two SATA drives.  This seemed to work except there was no indication
> anywhere that it was setup as RAID 0 or that it was using the raid I
> setup in the BIOS.
>
> After hosing the system from a few id10t errors I reinstalled and this
> time I setup the volumes manually and created a RAID 0 out of the two
> SATA drives during the install.  It works but I swear it runs slower
> although I have no empirical data to prove it.
>
> Does anyone have experience with setting up RAID 0 with BIOS assisted
> controller?  Am I doing something wrong and what should I look for?

Most 'BIOS assisted Raid' are really just software raid implemented in the
driver.  If you want portability, you might consider using the linux software
raid.

The biggest performance impact on raid is stripe/chunk size.  Which size
is 'best' depends on your usage patterns.  Depending on your filesystem, you
may want to tune the two to match.