BIOS assisted raid

Brian Hawkins brianhks at activeclickweb.com
Tue Dec 5 09:22:58 MST 2006

I'm setting up a system with the intent of using raid 0 for performance
gains.
The hardware
Asus motherboard with with bios assisted raid controler
two SATA drives
one PATA drive for backup

I want to setup the two SATA drives as RAID 0 and use the motherboards
controller to assist if possible.  I'm installing FC6.

The first time I installed I just went with the system default setup.
It put /boot on the PATA drive and then created a logical volume out of
the two SATA drives.  This seemed to work except there was no indication
anywhere that it was setup as RAID 0 or that it was using the raid I
setup in the BIOS.

After hosing the system from a few id10t errors I reinstalled and this
time I setup the volumes manually and created a RAID 0 out of the two
SATA drives during the install.  It works but I swear it runs slower
although I have no empirical data to prove it.

Does anyone have experience with setting up RAID 0 with BIOS assisted
controller?  Am I doing something wrong and what should I look for?

Thanks
Brian