Getting a fair deal?

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Wed Aug 30 16:30:42 MDT 2006

I'll weigh in on the mac/nonmac issue briefly. I got an iBook for the
hardware. Rumor had it that everything but wireless just worked in
Linux, and based on my previous experience with dell, toshiba, and
compaq laptops that was a phenomenal claim.

It was a true claim. And what's more, wireless is now working in linux
and getting better every day.

I also wanted to try out OSX, and was impressed with the look and the
supposed durability. Well, definitely durable. Survived a 4 foot drop
onto asphault while open with nothing wrong but some asphault embedded
into the case. (it's ugly, but distinctive. ;-)

I dual booted for awhile, but these days I primarily use OSX. The
reasons are funny: OSX has better keyboard support (who'd a thunk
it?), adium is so much better than gaim, and because I got used to it
while wireless didn't work in linux. Linux has some advantages and I do
dual boot into it for various things, including audio work.

Oh, and the excellent battery life. My battery (and laptop) is a year
and a half old now, and I still get about 4 hours of normal usage out of
it.

In short, my iBook is the best linux laptop I have ever laid hands on,
and OSX is great too.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach