MythTV frontend rebuffering problem

Roberto Mello rmello at fslc.usu.edu
Wed Aug 30 15:42:11 MDT 2006

On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 03:09:45PM -0600, Andrew Jorgensen wrote:

> Actually mplayer is pretty clever.  Not that myth isn't but mplayer
> uses a longer cache and has some really good decode algorithms.  But
> now that I mention that I think they both use ffmpeg for mpeg4 (or are
> you using rtjpeg? or mpeg2?).

I have a Hauppage PVR 250, using the ivtv drivers on the backend. So live
TV is mpeg2. Live TV is a lot jerkier than watching recorded shows.
Whereas with LiveTV I get a jerk every 20 seconds, with recorded TV it's
more like once every 60 seconds.

Both suck, but Live TV sucks 3 times more right now :-)

> Anyway, the longer cache that mplayer uses could mask a problem with
> your network.  You could have one side configured full-duplex and the
> other side half-duplex for instance.

Here's the frontend:

cupu:/home/rbm# mii-tool eth0
eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok

And the backend:

cyborg:/home/rbm# mii-tool eth0
eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok

Both seem to be on full duplex. Anything else I should do to make sure
that's the case?

> What version are you running?  I'd tend to agree that this is most
> likely but I've heard that some work was done in that area for 0.19.

ii  mythtv-frontend                  0.19-0.10                   A personal video recorder application (client)

-Roberto

--
Reformat Hard Drive!  Are you SURE (Y/Y)?