MythTV frontend rebuffering problem

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 15:09:45 MDT 2006

On 8/30/06, Roberto Mello <rmello at fslc.usu.edu> wrote:
> The problem seems to be specifically on the transmission of data. I don't
> the computer can't process the stream fast enough, otherwise mplayer
> playing those very same files over the NFS share would be just as choppy.

Actually mplayer is pretty clever.  Not that myth isn't but mplayer
uses a longer cache and has some really good decode algorithms.  But
now that I mention that I think they both use ffmpeg for mpeg4 (or are
you using rtjpeg? or mpeg2?).

Anyway, the longer cache that mplayer uses could mask a problem with
your network.  You could have one side configured full-duplex and the
other side half-duplex for instance.

> It seems to be something strictly related to the way the myth protocol works.

What version are you running?  I'd tend to agree that this is most
likely but I've heard that some work was done in that area for 0.19.