Getting a fair deal?

Grant Robinson santiago at mr-r.net
Wed Aug 30 15:09:30 MDT 2006

On Aug 30, 2006, at 1:30 PM, Grant Shipley wrote:

> On 8/30/06, Blake Barnett <shadoi at nanovoid.com> wrote:
>> What vendor/model is this?  I'm also curious what the dimensions are,
>> and what it looks like.  Do you have a picture?
>
> Its a toshiba p105-s6084
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G6T1ZI/102-4912139-9245755?
> v=glance&n=541966
>

> I got it on sale at Best Buy for 1350.00.  The amazon link has it for
> 1398.00 with a 100.00 rebate -- making it 1298.00.  You can't buy an
> apple with specs close to this for that same price.
>

> This notebook measures 15.5 x 10.8 x 1.65 inches and weighs 7.1
> pounds.

You're right.  Apple doesn't sell any laptops that heavy or thick. :)

In all seriousness, let's go down this route.  I looked at that link
you provided.  In particular, there are a couple of things that jump
out that are different than what you said:

* It uses shared memory, not a dedicated video card
* Slower processor than an Apple
* Apple's screen is higher res

So, I went to Toshiba's online store built-to-order a Toshiba that
has as close to the same specs as a MacBook Pro.  This involved
taking the base P100, and then customizing it to match Apple's
specs.  Other than matching specs, I also upgraded Windows XP Home to
Windows XP Professional, as it is a closer comparison to both OS X
and the target market for a high-end machine (the MacBook Pro is a
professional machine).  All told, that makes the Toshiba $2513.75
with an instant rebate of $628.25.  I don't know if that means they
are closing this model out or what.  What this doesn't take into
account is:

* You can't get a comparable graphics card in the Toshiba.  The best
they offer is an Nvidia GForce 7600
* No backlit keyboard option
* No sudden motion senser option
* No built-in iSight video camera option
* No Firewire 800 option
* No MagSafe power option
* Can't make the Toshiba match the MacBook Pro dimensions (MacBook
Pro is 15.4x10.4x1.0 and weighs 6.8 pounds)

The Toshiba had a few things the mac did not:

* 4 USB ports (MacBook Pro has 3)
* Extra buttons for controlling CD/DVD with lid closed
* Built-in 5-in-1 card reader
* Fingerprint reader

Personally, I would still buy the Apple, as there is also a whole
host of other things that the MacBook Pro offers for me like battery
life, OS (no legal OS X for a Toshiba), iLife, etc, etc.

If you are happy with your Toshiba, then that is really all that
matters.  My point was just that if you are going head to head
without a bunch of special offers (which aren't always available),
Apple competes very well with Dell and IBM (Lenovo).

--
The "real" Grant