Getting a fair deal?

Gary Thornock gthornock at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 30 15:04:27 MDT 2006

--- Andrew McNabb <amcnabb at mcnabbs.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 03:30:17PM -0400, Grant Shipley wrote:
>>
>> Its a toshiba p105-s6084
>>
>> I got it on sale at Best Buy for 1350.00.  The amazon link
>> has it for 1398.00 with a 100.00 rebate -- making it 1298.00.
>> You can't buy an apple with specs close to this for that same
>> price.
>
> Thank goodness.  If I could get an Apple for that price, it
> might end up like a Toshiba!
>
> (I've had some bad experiences with Toshiba laptops and am now
> biased)

Too true.  I've never owned a Toshiba, but I've used a few
at work, and I've yet to meet a good one.  Between cheap
construction and poor-to-bad Linux and BSD support, they're just
not worth it.

> My comment on this thread is: get what works for you, and
> don't be surprised when someone else with a different budget
> and different set of requirements ends up getting a different
> machine.

Also, if your budget is limited, take a look at used or
refurbished laptops.  For example, I see quite a few Thinkpad
T42s on eBay for under $800, and they're a pretty decent machine.