Getting a fair deal?

Hill, Greg grhill at corp.untd.com
Wed Aug 30 12:45:24 MDT 2006

> How is that monopolistic? They took a great idea and maid their own
> version of it. I'm not suggesting that it doesn't suck for the little
> man, but it is not unethical. It's a dog-eat-dog world out there in
> the world of competition. If Konfabulator's is better, people will
> use it over Dashboard. If it's not, they won't.

Yeah, tell that to Netscape circa 2000.  People will accept what's
pre-installed a lot more often than seeking out something better.

Anyway, I wasn't arguing ethics at all.  I was just pointing out that
the accusations pointed at Microsoft apply to Apple as well.  You are a
hypocrite if you hate MS for their tactics and at the same time love
Apple, who use the exact same tactics.  But Apple also locks you to
their hardware.

I hate 'em both, but I keep XP as my main desktop so I can play games.
I'd love to use Linux as my desktop.  Sadly I doubt that day will ever
come because video card manufacturers are never going to open-source
their drivers, and linux kernel hackers aren't going to provide a
reliable binary driver model.  I think that'd be the first step to
getting more game developers on-board, but maybe I underestimate the
situation.

Greg