Getting a fair deal?

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Wed Aug 30 12:10:32 MDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 12:57 -0400, Grant Shipley wrote:
> Don't be tempted by os-x.  Fedora Core 5/6 can look just as good.

I'm not talking about looks, I'm talking about stuff just working. I'm
no newbie, in fact I teach people to use Linux. The fact is that Linux
still has all kinds of rough spots. Although many of the remaining
problems are _finally_ being fixed.

What am I talking about?

Wireless. Admit it, Linux wireless is a mess.

Printing. Finally getting some real love with CUPS 1.2 and the merging
of various driver databases.

3d acceleration. I know this is manufacturer's fault, but the Linux
community isn't putting enough pressure; everyone just accepts binaries
drivers quietly.

Ease of use. I recently had an external USB disk overheat while
transferring files. Because I've used Linux for so long, I knew to check
my logs to find the cause. After getting errors despite sticking the
drive in the freezer for a bit, I knew to run fsck. Should I have had
to? No. The cause of the failure should have been more obvious, and the
recovery should have been automatic.

Need I go on?

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com