Getting a fair deal?

Jonathan Duncan jonathan at jkdwebmagic.com
Wed Aug 30 10:56:58 MDT 2006

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Gary Thornock wrote:

> --- Jonathan Duncan <jonathan at jkdwebmagic.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Grant Shipley wrote:
>>> I have wondered over the last year or so why so many in the
>>> open source world consider OS-X an okay choice of operating
>>> system but are still anti-windows.  Lets not forget that OS-X
>>> is not free.
>>
>> What is not to love?  Oh, the price.  Well in my ever so humble
>> opinion, you get what you pay for.
>
> The price isn't all that bad, either.  When I bought my Powerbook
> last year, I compared prices, and it came up several hundred
> dollars *less* than a comparably equipped Thinkpad.  I wasn't
> particularly interested in a Dell, but their laptops were in
> about the same price range, too.

I did the Dell thing initially because my wife gave me a spiel about
money.  Now the Dell is hers and I finally have a Mac laptop.  Happy
ending for all.  Except now I want to get her a MacBook with bootcamp on
it and wean her over to OSX.  Many times people look at Dell or IBM or
something else and then look at Apple and think they are over priced, but
usually they are not comparing apples to apples.  For similar specs,
prices are alot more comparable.

Jonathan