Getting a fair deal?

Jonathan Duncan jonathan at jkdwebmagic.com
Wed Aug 30 10:21:18 MDT 2006

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Grant Shipley wrote:

>  ----->>> Thread hijack. <<<-----
>
> On 8/30/06, Jeff Nyman <Jeff.Nyman at caselle.com> wrote:
>> Well my son just got a macbook. He saved all summer for a car and one day
>> decided to get the notebook instead. I think the free ipod had a lot to do
>> with it. It is the most awesome piece of equipment I've ever seen. It blows
>> me away every time I play with it.
>
> On 8/30/06, Jonathan Duncan <jonathan at jkdwebmagic.com> wrote:
>> I love my MacBook Pro!  It is awesome.  However, like the MacBook that
>> Jeff mentioned, it does not fit in your budget.
>
> I have wondered over the last year or so why so many in the open
> source world consider OS-X an okay choice of operating system but are
> still anti-windows.  Lets not forget that OS-X is not free.
>
> Granted, the posts could have been talking about the hardware and not
> the OS but one equates statements about how awesome macs are to the
> software (most of the time).

You invoke the rite of Mac Evangelist of your own choice?  So let it be
written, so let it be done.

I grew up using DOS and thinking that Mac's were inferior.  I spent many a
year on Windows from the days of 3.1 to XP.  At the same time I have
always been in love with [U|Li]nix since I was first introduced to it in
college.  Then within the past several years, members of my family have
been switching to Mac's.  I am open minded, so I decided to find out what
all the fuss was about.  The hardware and software look nice and are very
easy and friendly to use.  However, that was not enough for me.  Then OSX
came out.  "Built on FreeBSD Unix".  The did it for me.  Not only did OSX
come out, but the hardware started to look even better.  I challenge
anyone to find a more sexy looking laptop then an Apple MacBook Pro.  The
benefit of the Mac is that the OS and the hardware are married to each
other.  They are made to work with each other.  Whereas, other popular
operating systems are made to work with any machine, which opens a lot of
area for problems.  The Mac OSX is simple enough for a novice to use but
powerful enough for a *nix geek like myself to do everything I need on one
machine.  And if that is not enough, now that Mac's have Intel chips in
them, even if you do not want they Mac OSX you can put Windoze or
something else on there.  What is not to love?  Oh, the price.  Well in my
ever so humble opinion, you get what you pay for.

Jonathan