Help on new distro choices?

Hill, Greg grhill at corp.untd.com
Wed Aug 23 16:48:00 MDT 2006

> This has all been great, but what about the newer distro's has anyone
> given them a shot yet?  Fedora, SuSE, Gentoo, Ubuntu/Debian and
> friends, I've already played with all of them in times past, but with
> the recent explosion of distros I thought it might be time to try
> something completely new.
> Any ideas?

Well, I decided to 'modernize' recently from redhat 9 to ubuntu, and I
must say I find Ubuntu to be severely lacking as a distro for use as a
server.  I spent hours and hours googling error messages only to
discover that the ubuntu package manager had not installed dependencies
where it needed to.  Make and gcc were the worst offenders, as neither
would work at all when installed.  I had to install at least 5 or 6
dependencies, despite assurances that all dependencies were
automatically installed.

Apache2/mod_perl2 was also pretty bad.  Am I the only person that uses
lib-apreq2?  I can't fathom that being the case, but maybe it is.
Ubuntu's apache2 and mod_perl2 packages did not install it, nor was it
even an optional package to install.  I ended up uninstalling their lame
packages and manually compiling everything (which led me to the make and
gcc problems I mentioned above).

Anyway, I'm less than impressed.

Greg