Help on new distro choices?

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Wed Aug 23 15:45:31 MDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 15:32 -0600, jeff wrote:
> In my laptop's case it is definatly true.  The kernel is only a small
> part of getting it to work well.  It has a celeron 677 with 384M RAM.
> It is a dog.  It takes a lot of tweaking to make it happy.  I have found
> that trying to strip Fedora down is more difficult than setting up a
> lean gentoo.  The big downside is comiling on a dog.  It will take a few
> days to install.

Gentoo, except for compiling, is the best fit for this kind of machine
because you only build the libraries you need and want.  Fedora does
have a huge problem with so many library interdependencies that you end
up having to have isdn support installed, for example, although you'll
likely never need it.  This is because the network configuration utility
requires isdn libraries in case some user wants to configure isdn.

For Gentoo users, consider setting up distcc.  Then you can use faster
machines to do the actual compilation (with the flags and optimizations
for the cpu on the laptop).  If you have a  3 gHz desktop nearby, it
should allow you to install gentoo as fast on the laptop as you would on
that machine.