Help on new distro choices?

Thom Metge uug_emetge at accident-prone.com
Wed Aug 23 15:40:16 MDT 2006

quite true- i have a 1ghz laptop with 384mb ram, same kind of problem
with most distros.  suse was an unqualified disaster, ubuntu was nice
but didn't install gcc from the live cd (what!?), gentoo takes days (as
mentioned), now i'm using fedora 5 and have been for a while.  i think i
like ubunto a bit better and performance seems to side with ubuntu as
well.  i guess it helps that i'm a gnome kind of guy.  but i do have to
say that install fedora was a piece of cake and performance is
definitely good enough.  i would recommend it, if you only have a couple
of hours in your day to install (my laptop is a workhorse...can't afford
to leave it for days while installing gentoo, whatever the benefit).

now if only suspend to ram and to disk worked properly...

tom