Help on new distro choices?

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Wed Aug 23 13:46:16 MDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 13:33 -0600, an unknown sender wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 10:00:06AM -0600, Michael L Torrie wrote:
> > I also challenge the idea that a vanilla kernel is going to be any
> > faster than the Fedora stock kernel.  Fedora ships with tons of driver
> > support, but by and large that is in modules and not in the main kernel
> > unless you use it.  Even unused subsystems in the kernel are not going
> > to make that much of a difference.
>
> It's not vanilla necessarily, but an arch-specific build that makes the
> main difference.  Of course all of that depends on how well gcc can/will
> optimize for your specific architecture.

Which isn't much in my experience.  Most distro stock kernels are
already arch-specific and optimized fairly well.

GCC isn't known for it's wonderful optimizations either, but rather its
portability.  Now if you could build the kernel with an Intel compiler,
or something, then it might be faster.

But for most of what people do with Linux (GUIs etc), 90% of the
performance of a system in library optimizations and prelinking.  Total
kernel throughput is all but irrelevant for most folks.  In fact most
distros now are optimized for apparent GUI performance, so the preempt
stuff, low-latency, and O(1) scheduler are enabled, which doesn't
necessarily increase overall performance.  With a lot of these
mechanisms, responsiveness is given priority over performance and
throughput.