Help on new distro choices?

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 15:46:08 MDT 2006

On 8/22/06, Barry Roberts <blr at robertsr.us> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 02:47:46PM -0600, Jonathan Duncan wrote:
> >
> > Has SUSE already been listed?  Great product, especially the new SUSE 10.
> >

> Stay away from OpenSuSE. Package management sucks.  It will probably
> get better, but the new unified yast/redcarpet on 10.1 has hosed 2 of
> my systems so badly that I ended up reinstalling (FC5 and Ubuntu).
>
> Yum is dog slow and immature compared to apt, but it's fast and
> reliable compared to current yast.

Some of those bugs have recently been fixed.  An updated version may
not be as slow as you remember.

> I haven't purchased SUSE since 9.x, so the commercial versions may be
> better.

Very unlikely.  The main difference between the commercial versions
and the free versions is support.  They don't keep bug fixes to
themselves.  If anything the free versions might have more recent
stuff.