High Level Perl Jobs

Paul Seamons paul at seamons.com
Tue Aug 22 10:46:15 MDT 2006

On Tuesday 22 August 2006 10:27 am, Steve wrote:
> Ok not that I'm applying for this job or trying to degrade the
> description, but is there a difference between regular perl and object
> oriented perl?

In general object oriented perl is different in that it:

- Encourages not using global variables
- Encourages code to be encapsulated
- Encourages concept abstraction
- Encourages passing by reference rather than value
- Encourages non-direct access to internals
- Encourages inheritance
- Encourages having a higher understanding of perl references and data
structures.
- Encourages thinking about your data models.

Notice the common "Encourages" theme.  Object Oriented doesn't solve all
problems and developers can and have certainly messed up object oriented
code.  But using object oriented concepts tend to help clean up most of the
mess and gripes that most people have with Perl.  It is also pretty much
essential if you are maintaining a reasonably sized code base.

Paul