Backup mail server

Troy Bowman troy at
Thu Aug 17 18:07:42 MDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-17 at 16:24 -0600, Kenneth Burgener wrote:

> The question I have is that there doesn't appear to be any way to
> indicate how many attempts the backup mail server should make at sending
> email to the primary mail server before giving up, and also the delay
> between attempts.  Is this configurable with Postfix?

I googled around for a few minutes and found these:

How often a queued message gets tried can probably be estimated using
the queue_run_delay, some number between minimal_backoff_time and
maximal_backoff_time.  I'd imagine your number of attempts would be how
many times that estimate can happen in the maximal_queue_lifetime.

More info:

For what it's worth, here are the settings in Sendmail:

warning interval:
define(`confTO_QUEUEWARN', `4h')dnl

fatal return mail:
define(`confTO_QUEUERETURN', `5d')dnl

minimum age of the queued message before resending is retried
define(`confMIN_QUEUE_AGE', `0m')

How often the queue is reviewed is specified by a parameter, usually 30

# sendmail -bd -q30m

More info: