Specify which device is eth0 at boot.

Blake Barnett shadoi at nanovoid.com
Mon Aug 7 20:05:36 MDT 2006

Ok, I have a slightly odd situation.  I have multiple systems with
dead on-board NICs.  We have added a new NIC to a PCI slot in each of
these machines and disabled the onboard NICs.  The problem is, for
our automated deployment system to work smoothly, these new devices
_must_ be eth0 when the system comes up.  The kernel always detects
the on-board NICs as eth0 and eth1, the new NIC that we've added
shows up as eth2.

I know that one way around this is to use a netdev=<irq>,<dma>,eth0
on the kernel append line, but unfortunately not all of these devices
have the same IRQ or memory address.  I've seen various references to
disabling ACPI, and/or passing device driver-specific options.
Possibly also certain pci= options may help.  I'm hoping someone has
dealt with this before.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Blake