Suse on Sata

Joe Crown joecr at linuxmail.org
Mon Aug 7 19:35:42 MDT 2006

Andrew Jorgensen wrote:

> Windows also has software RAID (at least 0 and 1 maybe others).  I
> have no idea how good or bad it might be but it probably works fine.
> I also haven't actually used it so don't ask me for advice.  You can't
> use it on your system partition though.

One minor correction.  You can setup a mirror of your system drive.  If
you are running Windows NT server, Windows 2000 Server (any of them), or
Windows 2003 server you can do a stripe set with parity.  I'm not sure
what level of RAID that is though.  It's at least 3 drives of the same
size & if one dies you are ok as long as you replace the dead drive
before another one dies.  All versions of the NT kernel support the
following Mirror set, Stripe set, & Disk set.  (I'm not sure about XP
Home or XP Media Center edition, as Home is missing a bunch of features
in Pro & Media Center is somewhere in between the other two versions.)
A Mirror set is when one drive is an exact copy of another drive, a
Stripe set is two or more drives of the same size & data is written to
all drives in the set at the same time, a Disk set is two or more drives
where the size doesn't matter & data is written to one drive till it is
filled up.

--

American Family Association & 30+ Other Groups Call for Boycott of Ford
Motor Company

The Electronic Frontier Foundation is highlighting three sets of bad
laws going through Congress right now.
http://www.eff.org/corrupt

Don't pay malware vendors - boycott Sony & Symantec