Suse on Sata

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 16:22:00 MDT 2006

On 8/7/06, Stuart Jansen <sjansen at buscaluz.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 13:34 -0700, Hill, Greg wrote:
> > > Unless you invest in a high-end hardware RAID solution like
> > > LSI's MegaRAID or 3Ware, stay away from SATA RAID solutions
> >
> > Is this a linux-only thing or general advice?

Windows also has software RAID (at least 0 and 1 maybe others).  I
have no idea how good or bad it might be but it probably works fine.
I also haven't actually used it so don't ask me for advice.  You can't
use it on your system partition though.

I prefer software RAID because it's usually easier to talk to when
there are problems.  Mainly it's easier because you don't have to
install someone's crappy proprietary RAID management tools that aren't
compatible with your libc anyway and read a new set of manuals.
Hardware RAID sometimes has more Enterprise in it though, if you like
that.