Suse on Sata

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Mon Aug 7 14:52:57 MDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 14:22 -0600, Adam Fisher wrote:
> Does anybody and have walk thru's on installing Suse or Red hat on a
> Sata drive.  I tried some of Novell's stuff to no avail.

There should be very little need for such. A recent version of either
should install just like PATA drives. Older versions of both did not
have SATA support. I know RHEL4 and SL9.3 have SATA support. I think
SLES9 has SATA support.

Mixing SATA and PATA can cause problems for Grub. You might want to use
lilo as your boot loader instead.

Hardware RAID can be more complicated depending on the vendor. True
hardware RAID should work transparently, although perhaps with the loss
of advanced management tools if the vendor doesn't provided the needed
support.

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com

the results." -- Winston Churchill