Suse on Sata

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Mon Aug 7 14:46:31 MDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 13:34 -0700, Hill, Greg wrote:
> > Unless you invest in a high-end hardware RAID solution like
> > LSI's MegaRAID or 3Ware, stay away from SATA RAID solutions
>
> Is this a linux-only thing or general advice?  I've used Nvidia's NVRAID
> for a year or so with no ill side-effects (before that was Silicon Image
> 3112 for a year or two), but only on Windows so far.  Anyway, I was just
> curious if I should be worried, or if the advice is specific to Linux.

Well, it's both generic and Linux specific. The Linux software RAID is
very high quality so buying cheap hardware may not give you any benefit.
I have no experience with Windows software RAID so I can't compare.

Some of the cheap hardware RAID is built similar to Winmodems. To cut
cost they offload part of the work to the CPU. The whole point of
hardware RAID is to increase throughput by reducing CPU dependency.
Cheap hardware RAID can actually slow you down by increasing interrupts.

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com

the results." -- Winston Churchill