apt reinstall package broken?

Blake Barnett shadoi at nanovoid.com
Fri Aug 4 11:46:21 MDT 2006

On Aug 4, 2006, at 8:17 AM, Roberto Mello wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 04:07:23PM -0700, Blake Barnett wrote:
>>
>> Even these are overkill, unless configured otherwise APT defaults to
>> caching all packages that are installed in /var/cache/apt/archive,
>
> That's an unreasonable assumption, unless you install ALL your
> packages
> directly through apt, which is not very efficient. dselect and
> aptitude
> default to asking if you want to remove downloaded installed packages.

He was speaking of APT.

> But you're right, you could be lucky and the package could still be
> lying
> around /var/cache/apt/archives, good thinking.
>
>> besides, if you download the package you are very likely to get a
>> newer version than what you're running and this could lead to
>> unexpected behavior.
>
> Why? If he was willing to remove the whole frigging package just to
> get
> that init.d file, I don't see how that could happen.

True.  In production you may be a little more paranoid.

> Samba configuration hasn't changed in eons.

I was speaking in general of all packages.  For example, to
illustrate my point, I had a problem bite me because of this exact
scenario, the PAM file for SSH was mutilated and I pulled it out of a
newer package, SSH had just had a security fix and one of the options
I was using was removed or something (I don't remember exactly now),
anyway it resulted in a trip to the data center.

-Blake