Spam filter training using IMAP

Jason Hall jayce at lug-nut.com
Thu Aug 3 09:05:41 MDT 2006

On Wednesday 02 August 2006 18:44, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> I have a small mail server used by about a dozen family members.  I'd
> like to set up a bayesian spam filter on the server and make it easy for
> users to train their personal filters.  For a long while, I've wondered
> how to make the training easy, but today it finally hit me: just have
> the users put spam in a designated IMAP folder and "ham" in a different
> folder.  Then re-train at night if the users have changed the ham or
> spam folders during the day.
>
> Before I go off and do this, has anyone else tried the same thing?  Was
> it effective and easy to use?

I've been doing this for a long time.  One thing that really made it easy was
that since I am using Courier Imap, I made a 'shared' Spam folder.  Since
everybody in my family has pretty similar feeling on 'what is spam' we could
all just throw our spam in that shared folder.  Since I already had a decent
corpus, the other family members benefitted from that.

As for ham, I just focused my ham search on the various subfolders they have.
Eg in my case all my lists, and family folders.  So each person's ham is
unique to what they put in folders, and the spam is in a shared dump.

--
Jayce^