SMTP servers - was Re: Best IMAP mail server

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Tue Aug 1 17:19:48 MDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 17:17 -0600, Michael L Torrie wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 16:45 -0600, Stuart Jansen wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 10:17 -0600, Stephen Smith wrote:
> > > What would be your recommendations for quickly moving our existing
> > > server and accounts to a new platform.
> >
> > You didn't ask about SMTP servers, but I'd recommend Postfix. It's easy,
> > it has a good security track record. Michael Torrie pointed out that it
> > doesn't support milter on most distros right now. However, the newest
> > version of Postfix (released last month IIRC) now has milter support. If
> > milter was the only thing tying your to Sendmail, it's time to switch to
> > Postfix.
>
> Wonderful!

Looking the mailing lists, it appears this is coming along quite nicely.
As of July 20 or so, the postfix milter implementation doesn't yet
support the modification of the message body by a milter.  but it looks
like that will be implemented soon.  Programs like mimedefang
(attachment scanner/quarantine) need this functionality.

Michael