Best IMAP mail server

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Tue Aug 1 16:31:17 MDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 10:17 -0600, Stephen Smith wrote:
> We are planning to replace our current mail server which is sendmail
> configured for SMTP only.  We would like to move to an IMAP server with
> more security.  The RH distribution has dovecot as a secure IMAP server,
> but I have heard little about it.

Not sure what an IMAP server would have to do with replacing an SMTP
server.  However as others have pointed out there are lots of nice
options for IMAP servers.

Are you planning on replacing Sendmail?  Postfix is a nice
alternative.

I run several sendmail servers in production for larger environments
(well only several thousand users all in one domain), and I would never
replace them with postfix at this moment.  As good as amavis is, it
doesn't integrate nearly as slick as filters can with Sendmail's milter
api.  With all the users stored in LDAP, there are no more difficulties
with a thousand users than there would be with just one.  Of course if
you want to change the config of the sendmail server and you aren't
familiar with the m4 macros, it can be a nightmare.  But it has worked
well for me for the last 6 or 7 years.

If you are talking the context of a corporate environment, it is well
worth looking at the bundled commercial packages (often built from open
source components). The integration and management utilities are worth
it.  Just avoid MS Exchange at all costs.

> What would be your recommendations for quickly moving our existing
> server and accounts to a new platform.

They are all centralized on a directory, right?  That makes migration
trivial.

> Which IMAP server would you use?

I am currently using dovecot to support several thousand users.  I'm
also using courier-imap for some things on another server.

> Which is the easiest to manage?

I installed dovecot a year ago, and besides making sure I'm up on the
security errata, I haven't done anything to manage it.  it just works.
So if this package fits your needs and tests out alright in your
environment, maybe it would work for you.

> What benefits are there for your particular recommendation that set it
> appart from the others?

I'm sure there are several.

Michael