Best IMAP mail server

Kimball Larsen kimball at kimballlarsen.com
Tue Aug 1 15:44:19 MDT 2006

On Jul 31, 2006, at 10:17 AM, Stephen Smith wrote:

> We are planning to replace our current mail server which is
> sendmail configured for SMTP only.  We would like to move to an
> IMAP server with more security.  The RH distribution has dovecot as
> a secure IMAP server, but I have heard little about it.
> What would be your recommendations for quickly moving our existing
> server and accounts to a new platform.
> Which IMAP server would you use?
> Which is the easiest to manage?
> What benefits are there for your particular recommendation that set
> it appart from the others?
>
> All input will be appreciated.

We use a combination of tools that center around Postfix.  I have
found the directions here[1] to be very useful, and am currently
running a pretty busy server with this configuration.  It provides
webmail, anti-virus/spam, IMAP, POP, SMTP (authenticated), ssl, etc.
All email server admin (as far as users, aliases, etc) are done via
mysql, which fits me nicely. :)

This tutorial is really designed for the Debian/Ubuntu crowd though.

I know Hans likes Dovecot .

-- Kimball

[1] - http://flurdy.com/docs/postfix/