Remote Control

Ross Werner ross at indessed.com
Sun Apr 30 14:33:31 MDT 2006

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006, Hans Fugal wrote:
>> thing). But at the end of the day, I think you're eventually going to be
>> annoyed at the line-of-sight requirements of infrared and go RF.
>
> My TV, DVD, and VCR all use line-of-sight IR. We once had dish and the
> PVR used RF and that was pretty cool, but I think I'll survive.

The difference (at least for me) is that the TV, DVD, and VCR are all
sitting right in front of you on your entertainment center when you're
clicking the remote. The IR device is attached to your computer, which is
a little less convenient, but if you have a long enough cable it's not a
big problem. (I suppose I get annoyed at IR on the TV/DVD/VCR too so maybe
I'm just easily annoyed. :)

>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16823126168
>
> What's the range of this one? Some of the newegg reviews are pretty down
> on the range of it. I think my couch is about 10 feet from the
> computer/tv.

Depending on where I position the receiver, it gets about 9-12 feet before
wigging out. My guess is you wouldn't have problems with it as long as
you had a few choices with regards to where you put the receiver. But I
certainly never had range problems like the newegg reviews claim. As
always, YMMV.

> I didn't think about a learning remote learning keyboard functions. Will
> any IR keyboard receiver be compatible with any learning remote?

No idea on this one. I would imagine so, but I'm not really sure. It
would probably be more expensive to buy an IR keyboard set and a
learning remote than one of the other solutions, unless you happen to
already have one of them.

How the Irman works is it just runs as a daemon (lirc), and you have a
config file that maps certain infrared sequences to lirc commands.
Whenever the Irman device gets a particular infrared sequence, you get a
message in /dev/lirc. Linux programs like mplayer and xmms have lirc
support, which means they listen to /dev/lirc and if they see a particular
command, they fast-forward or rewind or pause or whatever you have it
configured to do in that particular application.

There's another application that can listen to /dev/lirc and issue
keyboard or mouse commands, but I've never tried that before--I've always
just used mplayer/xmms built-in lirc support.

 	~ Ross