Remote Control

Hans Fugal hans at
Sun Apr 30 13:20:18 MDT 2006

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 at 09:55 -0700, Ross Werner wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Apr 2006, Hans Fugal wrote:
> >I know some of you are into MythTV and probably have run this gauntlet
> >before.
> >
> >I'm not afraid of a DIY kit, provided it's something I could handle (no
> >experience in EE-like stuff whatsoever). I'm not afraid of a wireless
> >keyboard provided it's A) compactish, and B) affordable (<= $30).
> I've gone both routes. I started out with a serial IR receiver from here:
> (they have USB ones for twice the
> price; those are $20 apiece). Setting it up is rather poorly documented,
> (it uses LIRC)  but not really very tricky, so let me know if you decide
> to go that route.

This looks pretty good.
> After a while, though, I eventually (a) wanted keyboard control and
> (b) got annoyed by the line-of-sight requirements of IR. So recently I
> bought this keyboard:

Cool, but too much.
> thing). But at the end of the day, I think you're eventually going to be
> annoyed at the line-of-sight requirements of infrared and go RF.

My TV, DVD, and VCR all use line-of-sight IR. We once had dish and the
PVR used RF and that was pretty cool, but I think I'll survive.

> If the expense of the media wireless set (the one with the RF remote
> control) is enough to be a dealbreaker for you, there's another RF
> keyboard that I use on my own desktop machine:

What's the range of this one? Some of the newegg reviews are pretty down
on the range of it. I think my couch is about 10 feet from the

I didn't think about a learning remote learning keyboard functions. Will
any IR keyboard receiver be compatible with any learning remote?

Hans Fugal ;
    -- Johann Sebastian Bach