Ode to Python

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Thu Apr 27 21:37:19 MDT 2006

On Apr 27, 2006, at 5:56 PM, Sasha Pachev wrote:

> I decided to do a project in Python, as it intuitively felt like it
> would be a good fit. This is my first experience with Python, and I
> am really enjoying it. Very concise, and up to the point. Not much
> in the way of unnecessary annoyance. So far, in spite of my
> inexperience with the language, I noticed that I have been making a
> lot fewer mistakes than I normally do, and am usually getting
> things right the first time, very unusual for me.

I've been a reserved admirer of Python for a long time now.  It is,
as you say, remarkably easy to pick up and does things fairly
intuitively.  Years ago, I decided I wanted to use Perl for a
project, but found that it was nearly impossible (or at least
severely counter-intuitive) to get nested arrays/dicts.  Perl has
probably become better since then, but Python worked exactly how I
wanted it to when I wanted it, and I've liked it (and disliked Perl)
since.

It does have its share of warts, though.  I'm not crazy about all the
underscores and explicit self, and it has some design decisions that
limit it in advanced usage.  I don't recall the details right now,
but I recall it having some scoping oddities and not doing closures
as one would expect.  And the lambda feature seems to be somewhat
broken and not likely to get fixed.

Python is, in the end, yet another imperfect language.  But it's a
pretty good one, at least in my opinion.

		--Levi