Tracking Email routing

Andy Bradford amb-plug at bradfords.org
Tue Apr 25 10:16:20 MDT 2006

Thus said "Stephen Smith" on Tue, 25 Apr 2006 09:29:08 MDT:

> It appears to me, the  unlearned, that the Service unavailable is with
> the mx1.west.cox.net. It that right?

This  appears to  be the  problem. It  sure would  be nice  if it  would
indicate  which service  is  unavailable.  I assume  it  must mean  SMTP
service is  unavailable. Can  you connect  to mx1.west.cox.net  from the
command line:

telnet mx1.west.cox.net 25

If you get  an SMTP banner then  maybe it means some  other service. I'm
not  as familiar  with sendmail  logs;  maybe your  server attempted  to
deliver the  email to  mx1.west.cox.net but got  a deferral.  i.e. their
email server told your email server something like:

451 Service unavailable

If this is  the case, what happened  to the message? Is it  still in the
queue?

Andy
 10:16am  up 23 days,  1:38,  1 user,  load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00