Hash vs list

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Tue Apr 25 09:23:36 MDT 2006

On Apr 24, 2006, at 4:03 PM, Jeff Schroeder wrote:
> It seems a little
> odd to use a hash when all I really have is a huge set of "keys" (I
> set
> the values to 1 arbitrarily)

Quite the contrary; when you have a large set of unordered keys and
you need to look them up quickly (test for presence of a key), a hash
table is a pretty good choice.  If you can impose some order on the
keys, a lookup tree might also be a good choice, too.  But it doesn't
sound like PHP gives you anything but hashes for free, so you might
as well use a hash!

		--Levi