Hash vs list

Jeff Schroeder jeff at zingstudios.net
Mon Apr 24 16:03:39 MDT 2006

Thanks for the responses everyone.  Some were more detailed than I
really needed but they gave me a lot of insight into how these sorts
of things work (and learning something new is always a good thing).

In the end I wrote some test programs and ran them against generated
data and the hashes won the speed test hands-down.  It seems a little
odd to use a hash when all I really have is a huge set of "keys" (I set
the values to 1 arbitrarily) but it's clear the hash-key lookup is
vastly more efficient than iterating over a huge array.

Thanks again.
Jeff