Tracking Email routing

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Mon Apr 24 12:59:11 MDT 2006

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 01:41:14PM -0600, Stephen Smith wrote:
> We are experiencing some quirks with our outbound emails.  Some emails
> can be sent via a mail client such as Thunderbird or Outlook on some
> machines but not on others.  As far as we can tell, all clients are
> configured the same. We also have an automated system that emails from
> an Oracle Client via mutt on the server.  Most emails go fine, however,
> some do not.  Sometimes delivery depends on the type of attachment, PDF
> vs Text or Zip file other times no attachments are involved.

Do the logs reveal anything? I find sendmail logs to be rather
cryptic, but eventually one can decipher them.

> We are currently using SendMail on RH9 for our server, however, plans
> are in the works to replace it.   Is replacement the solution or will we
> still have these kins of issues to deal with?

I don't know if replacing the RH9 version of sendmail will solve this
problem, but it may well solve others. RH9 is ancient in computer
security terms. The native sendmail on RH9 is
sendmail-8.12.8-4.i386.rpm. That on Fedora Core 5 is
sendmail-8.13.6-0.FC5.1.rpm.