Dealing with forged return addresses hitting my domains?

Jeff Schroeder jeff at zingstudios.net
Fri Apr 21 09:07:48 MDT 2006

Kimball asked:

> In investigating what to do about it, I have run across a few
> different approaches, and wanted to get an opinion from PLUG on what
> is the Right Way.

I, too, have been getting hammered with lots of bounces from spoofed
messages using my domain(s).  Unfortunately, I don't know if either of
the things you proposed (SPF and Domain Keys) would make a difference
here.  The bounce messages are coming from the poor recipients of the
spam, and at that point the message has already been bounced-- SPF and
DK are really intended to "validate" legitimate messages.  If the
receiving mail servers were using them, you wouldn't be seeing the
bounces because they would have already blocked/filtered the spam.

That being said, it may not be a bad idea to look into implementing one
or both of those solutions IF your domain is sending legitimate
messages to customers or whatever.  At least you'd boost your chances
of that mail being received successfully.  Like you, I think SPF is
both good and bad, and DK is fairly complicated.

$0.02,
Jeff