CentOS 4.3 spam filtering

Doran L. Barton fozz at iodynamics.com
Wed Apr 19 11:46:22 MDT 2006

Chris Carey wrote:
>> It IS still Linux!
>
> I realize that I can run whatever I want if I choose to manually
> install it. Since CentOS has a package management system, isn't it
> preferable to go with a package that is actually in the repository? It
> would seem this would be easier to maintain.

SpamAssassin should be in the base set of packages. Use 'yum' to install it
if it is not already installed.

	yum install spamassassin

MIMEDefang is distributed as a tarball with an RPM spec file inside. That
means you can download the tarball and build an RPM from it:

	rpmbuild -ta mimedefang-2.56.tar.gz

This will most likely tell you there are a few things you need to install
before MIMEDefang can be built. Those can either be 'yum install'ed,
installed via CPAN, or you can do what I do: cpan2rpm.

	http://perl.arix.com/cpan2rpm/

For the MIME-Tools, MIMEDefang works best with the version hosted on the
MIMEDefang site. Download that and then:

	cpan2rpm -i MIME-tools-5.420.tar.gz

Have fun.

  "Please do not wash hair or clothes in toilet."
     -- Seen in a Tokyo restroom