CentOS 4.3 spam filtering

Ross Werner ross at indessed.com
Wed Apr 19 11:18:40 MDT 2006

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, "Blake B." wrote:
> On Apr 19, 2006, at 9:41 AM, Chris Carey wrote:
>> I realize that I can run whatever I want if I choose to manually
>> install it. Since CentOS has a package management system, isn't it
>> preferable to go with a package that is actually in the repository? It
>> would seem this would be easier to maintain.
>
> Unfortunately with CentOS (and most RedHat variants) your options are quite
> limited in the base distribution.  http://rpm.pbone.net is your friend
> though.  I often automatically add the DAG yum/apt repository to my default
> builds of CentOS.

You're definitely going to need more than the base packages to get a
usable system. Consider third-party repositories as the equivalent of
Debian's default repositories--basically an integral part of a functioning
system.

I'd recommend atrpms and dag. Between the two of those (or probably even
just one of them) you'll get all the packages you need.

http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/FAQ.php#B4
http://atrpms.net/install.html

 	~ Ross