Mysql Naming Convention

Mark Hobson hobby at
Tue Apr 18 16:21:35 MDT 2006

Plural is the right way.  SQL was designed to be a natural language (thus
the select col from tablename where...)

Thus, a class represents a row in a table...a single row, whereas the table
represents a collection of rows (plural).  Therefore, the table name is
plural, the class name is singular.

If you are using a framework, it should have a small function to convert
from plural to singular.  You'll have to anyway, since at some point, you'll
need to have a plural word somewhere (i.e. "List of Clients" for the title
of a page, that queries the clients table).

MySQL even has built in functions that are plural:

Show databases
Show tables

-----Original Message-----
From: kirk [mailto:kirk at]
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 4:17 PM
To: mark at
Subject: Fw: Mysql Naming Convention

----- Original Message -----
From: "Louis Zirkel" <lzirkel at>
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 4:12 PM
Subject: Re: Mysql Naming Convention

Gregory Hill wrote:

> But, there is no rule or standard in this regard.

Someone else said it as well but I personally think that since there is
no true standard that consistency is the most important thing.  I think
the best thing would be to have a set of "engineering standards" for
naming conventions, be it in source code or sql code, or anything along
those lines for that matter.

Louis Zirkel / lzirkel at

PLUG:, #utah on
Don't fear the penguin.