Mysql Naming Convention

Mark Hobson hobby at redfiveconsulting.com
Tue Apr 18 16:21:35 MDT 2006

Plural is the right way.  SQL was designed to be a natural language (thus
the select col from tablename where...)

Thus, a class represents a row in a table...a single row, whereas the table
represents a collection of rows (plural).  Therefore, the table name is
plural, the class name is singular.

If you are using a framework, it should have a small function to convert
from plural to singular.  You'll have to anyway, since at some point, you'll
need to have a plural word somewhere (i.e. "List of Clients" for the title
of a page, that queries the clients table).

MySQL even has built in functions that are plural:

Show databases
Show tables

Mark