Mysql Naming Convention

Jeremy Hansen atticusser at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 15:36:54 MDT 2006

On 4/18/06, Jonathan Ellis <jonathan at carnageblender.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 15:14:10 -0600, "kirk" <kirk at emstraffic.com> said:
> > I was wondering if there is a mysql naming convention for tables and
> > columns.
>
> Table names should be plural.
> Column names should be singular.

I'm going to agree with Jonathan here, with the caveat that you may have a
reason to do something different. I've seen many databases where all column
names were prepended with "tablename_" for the purpose of eliminating
ambiguity in queries. I suppose it's just a matter of taste in most cases,
though sometimes a framework may dictate a convention for you (e.g. Rails).

The one thing I would suggest is that you be consistent. That's the only
place where I've ever really run into trouble.